Wednesday, April 28, 2021

Hiram, Leaning, and the Oven...


Hiram's Tomb long ago. Unknown date but likely circa 1890

The primary goal on this trip was to be testing the assembly of new kayaking equipment - in the field. I had already gone through the learning process at home and was anxious to further that skill. Also to try out the handling of that new equipment in a real-life situation. That did not happen as I was looking for a somewhat private place far from the gaze of onlookers. And the location I chose down in Chester Ma proved to be a busy location.

Hiram's Tomb as it is today!

But on the way into town, I thought it worthwhile to check into one of my favorite locations at Hiram's Tomb. After all, it had been almost 12 years since the last visit. The location and hike in went smoothly and it allowed for some much-needed update on my photos. Afterward, I made my attempt on Littleville Lake before moving on to the Knightville Dam in Huntington. Much like the lake at Littleville, Knightville is also the site of an Army Corps project. However, directly in front of the Dam is Leaning Rock (aka The Devil's Arm Chair).

The Leaning Rock as it appeared in the early 1900s

... and the Leaning Rock today!

Once again, I used the opportunity to do a photo update. It was the same day in 2009 when I last visited Hiram's and the Leaning Rock. Taking the scenic route back towards Windsor and Rt. 9, I made a stop at the Indian Oven. I had only one old photo from the end of 1999, so a good chance to update that as well.

Indian oven - as it appeared in an early 1900s postcard image