Thursday, September 23, 2021

The Other Cape!

One of the balanced rocks @ Franklin Park - early 1900s postcard

More and more in recent years, I've been known to say aging may be the last, great experiment in one's lifetime. As a bona fide senior I find it sometimes goes well. Other times not! And so it was on a traditional late summer/ fall trip up into Essex County. For the most part it was devoted to Cape Ann, celebrating 20 year ago I first landed at the local campground. But in the end, for whatever reason, the overall trip had to be devoted to a lighter set of activities.

Part of the Ruins. Boulder with Emerson plaque.

My goal on the first day was to put time in at Franklin Park defining the locations of it's many boulders, particularly in the Wilderness section. But first was a social call on the edge of Newton to have coffee with a friend from recent years. By the time I reached Franklin Park, it was a busy Saturday with activities going on. I got in a nice trip to locate someof the boulders, check out possible locations for Sunset Rock, then it was over to the ruins at the Overlook. That about shot the major portion of the day leaving much more to be done in the future. From here it was onward to Cape Ann!

Small sea cave formation around 1888

The winds were blowing a gale on the second day, so further testing on the new kayak was put on hold. I did make the 'tour' around the coastal areas, looking into Lanes Cove, Folly Cove before landing at Halibut Point. A lot of good hiking at Halibut but the pathways going down towards the ocean get to be a bit more strenuous. After finish up at Halibut it was off to one of my favorite all time places: the Atlantic Path of Pigeon Cove. An assortment of rocky formations lie here and I did visit several including Singers Rock and Chapin's Gully. Then a walk along the road just off the rocks (and a quick 'dive' into Andrews Woods) brought me by some rock sculptures upon a private lot. Next in line was the Town of Rockport bustling with tourist activity. I used this visit to locate any possible downtown access points to the ocean. I finished Rockport at the Headlands then it was off to the Magnolia section of Gloucester. Here I explored the Shore Rd area which included the Great Stone Face/Lady of Rock. The day ended at Good Harbor Beach where low tide enabled me to see the passage over to Salt Island and the tiny sea cave opposite that island.

How the old Coggeshall Camp looks today - from the ocean!

Some of the cliffs that line Folly Cove - early 1900s postcard

The morning of my third day was intriguing to say the least. I had a lead of an Indian Rock within the Gloucester boundaries. At one time long ago, it was a big time party spot for the local youngsters. Almost a local legend, it seems no one had been out to visit it in recent years. But with a few directions I made my way into a 'secluded' spot tucked in between sections of neighborhoods. Some development had encroached upon the purported location so it had to be determined if it still might exist! Well, it does not take long for Mother Nature to reclaim land that gets little use. I almost literally had to claw my way through dense overgrowth that was a lot of briers and sumac. By the time I exited this mess, I left disappointed and unsuccessful! But of a more relaxing nature was a cruise out of Lanes Cove, putting the new kayak through it's paces on the open ocean. Sites passed as I head north were the location of old Coggeshall Camp and Folly Cove.

Rocks towards the end of Cressy Beach - including the sea serpent!

Day four brought me off Cape Ann as I planned to do some exploring around Marblehead. I started off in one of their very old cemeteries. Then I left the mainland behind to head over to the Neck. Big time favorite Castle Rock was my destination but I just missed low tide and access to the small sea cave in the area. But I set up and grabbed a number of good photos of the old Rock itself before exiting Town. Back in Gloucester, I used the opportunity to visit Stage Fort Park and it's beaches: Cressy and Half Moon. Before landing back at my campsite I went up the road to Wingaersheek Beach where low tide was prevailing.

Entrance to small cave in Dogtown

On Day #5 I wanted to make one more trip up to a favorite location on the shores of Pigeon Cove. On the way, I visited the Granite Pier, and the Pigeon Cove Breakwater. Then it was back out onto the rocks that I've spent 20 years enjoying. With that behind me I had to make at least one small trip into Dogtown. The choice was the two caves first visited some years back.

Indian Rock - found!

Pulling camp on the morning of the sixth day, it was a decision on "what to do?" before leaving Town. I had been in touch with one of the local people over Indian Rock, with a little more information provided. But did I want to brave the 'forest' that tore me up badly a few days earlier? Ultimately, I said yes and on my way I went. Taking it slowly - and altering my course slightly - once again I was enveloped in sumac and briers. I eventually spied some painted surface and made my way over to it where I was rewarded! Indian Rock at last! It was so completely surrounded by growth you could not get back enough for photo. But signs of the past were present including old beers cans and broken glass - and lots of old paint upon the rock. Extracting myself from a messy situation, I accessed the car, caught Rt 128 out of Town and made my way to the Mohawk Trail and back to the Berkshires.