Thursday, September 14, 2023

Searching caves and mines...


Armed with a 'brand new' cave lead, I took to the north County. More specifically, the Savoy Mountain State Forest. Although my trip began in the town of Florida, hiking eventually took me over into North Adams. I kept my expectations low as I suspected the chances of finding much of a cave pretty slim. I was not surprised. Lying under the lip of a shelf of rock carrying a mountain stream lay the 'cave'. Apparently through the process of years of freezing and thawing, a portion of rock had moved forward leaving a cavity behind. Some erosion added to rounding out the semblance of a cave.

Cave formation under ledge with mountain stream

Returning to Savoy, I intended to explore the possibilities of a northern access to the old Little Egypt Lead Mine. It was an ill fated attempt as I did not prepare adequately on where to begin my hike. Some very nice woods on a beautiful Fall-like day but no mine. Another time.