Tuesday, May 10, 2022

A trolley, a gorillia, rabbits and schoolhouses!


Returning back to the southern Berkshires, after just a few days respite, I called upon my old (and too often neglected) 'cave man' skills. A further, better equipped , investigation into the site of the former Huckleberry Trolley tunnel was undertaken. This passed as a relatively routine experience leaving me only to find my way eastward into the Tyringham Valley.

Rabbit Rock - near the base of Tryingham Cobble

I had enough time to make a quick stop at Gorilla Rock, then on to the Cobble! After the recent experience in Monterey with Elephant Rock, I felt incentivized to follow up with another look at Rabbit Rock. The geologic map showed a slightly different scenario with actual beds of marble near the base of the Cobble. I did not see anything in the way of definitive marble. But Rabbit Rock did provided a vigorous fizz under the acid test (more so than Elephant) and had more pronounced potmarking upon it.

Boulder where a schoolhouse once was built

Gathering up my evidence, I moved on from the Rabbit to the Schoolhouse. Or the namesake boulder that once had a school next to it. MANY years since I first laid eyes upon this Big Boy leftover from the last ice age. I was treated to meeting the owner then finished up my day visiting my sometimes partner Gary at his new home in Lee.