Monday, October 21, 2019

The Southern Berkshires and Connecticut


This is the time of the year when I look around and focus on exactly where I wish to put the limited time remaining before the usual 'winter hibernation' sets in. I've wanted to return to Abiel's Rock, and I had a couple leads tossed my way by a northern Connecticut man.

But my first stop was to check into a lead given me by Great Barrington's Gary L. Someone had mentioned a boulder to him that this individual knew LONG ago. Like 50 years plus! This did not pan out as no boulder turned up in my search.


Tipping Rock

The next stop was pure magic! I had been given GPS information on the 'lost' Tipping Rock of Sandisfield. It also was originally photographed by Winsted Connecticut's F.W. DeMars during the early 1900s. This was located without too much difficulty, so it allowed me enough time to take on a steep climb in adjacent Colebrook CT. This was in search of another 'lost' formation: the Pulpit Rock, also photographed (or brought into his collection through a purchase) by DeMars. Although an impressive boulder was located (once again due to my CT contact) I did not see it matching the old DeMars photo.


Boulder at Colebrook

On the return home, I once again scouted out South County's Abiel's Rock . One of the largest boulders in Berkshire County.