Saturday, May 2, 2020

Recon 101


Good old reconnaissance! Sometimes a necessary process to produce a 'final result'. So it was on this cool spring day, I descended South of the Border into the Nutmeg State. Still looking for a good approach to Robbers Cave!


The Falls

My first attempt was a bushwhack through the woods up a high ridge overlooking the valley of Still River and Mooreville. Further progress was eventually blocked by a private home built deep into the woods. Taking a different route, I found an old road with side trails. This eventually led me back out to the area of my desired destination. A nifty waterfall was found, which I suppose to be Robbers Cave Falls, but no sign of any cave. So maybe next time!


Near the base of Hanging Mountain

On the way home, I wanted to see how the rock climbing project at Hanging Mountain in Sandisfield was progressing. Quite well, I'm happy to say! An entrance road and small parking area now exist and people were working away up in the woods and ledges. At this time the area IS closed to the public. So after that. it was onward north to my little home in the central Berkshires.