Tuesday, November 6, 2012

The Nutmeg State



Indian Rock

Another November tradition takes me down Connecticut way. Much like last year's trip, I made use of the drive through northwest Connecticut to further my knowledge on sites that were photographed by Winsted photographer F. H. DeMars. Apparently a favorite area of DeMars (and close to his home) was a waterfall, chasm, and associated power plant built at the falls in the late 1800's. With an eye towards assisting DeMars granddaughter in identifying sites on his old glass slides, I was able to access a lower area of the ravine. However, the main chasm (with a still operating hydroelectric facility) may be impossible due to landowner considerations.

The journey eventually landed me down near Waterbury where sections of an old canal/rr line, and in one case a trolley crossing, were investigated. The Barnes Museum in Southington was also visited this day.

On the second day, Indian Rock in southwestern Hartford County was seen.