Sunday, February 2, 2014

A Tale of Two Pulpits


Imagine my surprise some years ago when I arrived at Purgatory Chasm in Sutton, MA: armed with my usual bunch of antique image printouts, I began to scour the rocky rift for sites that carried a name from long ago. At that time, the Park had put up several signs, signs that that have since mostly disappeared, to mark features within the Chasm.

I was successful in locating a little know formation known as the Devil's Stairway but when it came to my image of the Devil's Pulpit - I was not so successful. Oh - there was a section of rock wall marked with a sign called Devil's Pulpit, but not the large, isolated boulder that my postcard portrayed.



Well, on a subsequent visit I did finally locate that boulder. And notice that the Park sign for 'their' Devil's Pulpit had disappeared from the rock wall. More of a surprise was that eventually another postcard of Devil's Pulpit in Purgatory Chasm came into my possession. And this one showed the site that the Park had originally marked with a sign!